Now that summer has officially come to an end, many bugs and insects seemingly disappear. Several pests find ways to come indoors into your home for the winter. Boxelder and stink bugs are known to invade homes once the weather cools down. That is why now is the perfect time to protect your property! It is extremely important to educate yourself about these bugs and learn how to prevent these pests to avoid an infestation inside your home.
Boxelder Bugs vs. Stink Bugs
Many people get these two insects confused. Here are the ways that they are actually quite different.
- During the fall, they congregate in large numbers on the sides of buildings or wherever the sun hits. These bugs are commonly found in boxelder maple trees as well as ash trees.
- Although they appear alarming with their characteristic red markings, they are typically harmless.
- That said, they may bite when they feel threatened.
- Just as their name implies, these beetle-looking insects emit a foul odor when crushed or threatened.
- They are gray or brown in color with a triangular-shaped plate on their backs.
- Stink bugs aren’t a direct threat to humans and typically will not bite.
- Once they’re inside a home, they’ll hide behind walls, in crawl spaces, and more.
Preventing Insects From Into Your Home
Before these pesky insects have a chance to get inside your home over winter, it’s vital to protect your property. There are several ways you can reduce the risk of getting boxelder bugs and stink bugs inside your home:
- Seal all cracks and crevices around your property, ensure screens fit snugly, and make sure your roof doesn’t contain cracks.
- Keep a clean, tidy atmosphere inside and outside the home.
- Remove all excess debris in your front or back yard and around your home.
- Get rid of ideal hiding spots for these bugs, including decorative rocks and piles of wood.
- Avoid moisture issues by promptly fixing leaky pipes and faucets.
Keeping Boxelder and Stink Bugs Outside
By protecting your home from boxelder bugs and stink bugs now, you can avoid the frustration and distress of an infestation down the road. If you’ve done all you can to eliminate the factors that contribute to an infestation and are still noticing boxelder bugs and stink bugs in multiple numbers inside or outside your property, it’s time to call a pest control expert. We have what it takes to protect your home from these fall invaders!
Please contact us immediately if you see any insects in or around your home, so we can help you eliminate them.
Choose Proactive Pest Control for professional, comprehensive, guaranteed pest, and lawn management. The pros at Proactive will work diligently to gain your trust, confidence, and your total satisfaction. CALL US TODAY at 770-800-PEST to schedule a free, no-obligation inspection and evaluation for your home or business. Or, contact us for a FREE consultation. Let us show you why Proactive Pest Control is northeast Georgia’s first choice for pest, termite, and lawn services.