With the warm weather and rain showers here in Georgia now, subterranean termites are looking for areas to set up a new colony. Two types of termites swarm in the spring and summer – Subterranean and Drywood both of which can cause disaster in your home and property.
Subterranean termites reside inside the ground, while drywood termites nest inside the wood they are infesting.
Subterranean termites stats
Subterranean termites stats are:
Color: Creamy white to dark brown/black
Size: 1/8 inch long
Shape: Long, narrow and oval
Antennae: yes, they have antennae
Region: They are found throughout the U.S.
The most destructive termite species is the subterranean termites. Jaws of termites are hard, jagged that work like shears and can bite off small fragments of wood. Over time this can collapse an entire building.
The damage termites can cause enormous. A typical colony consists of about 50,000 workers. This colony eats a 2 x 4 12-inch long piece of wood in approximately 8 – 9 weeks. If you do not locate and treat a termite-infested home, a home can be destroyed in 10 to 15 years.
Signs of infestation
There are some visible signs of termite infestation. If in doubt, make sure to contact a professional pest control company to do an inspection?
- Look at wood floors for blisters
- Inspect wood throughout the home for hollowed or damaged wood – walls, floors, etc. Termites can hide before the surfaces
- Droppings which look like mounds of pellets, sawdust or coffee grounds
- Mud tubes
- Termite wings near windows, door, and access points
Methods to avoid termites
Here are some ways to avoid attracting subterranean termites:
- Avoid water accumulation near the foundation of the home.
- Make sure you have properly functioning gutters, downspouts, and splash blocks to divert the water away
- Allow at least 20 feet away from the home where you store firewood
- Keep the mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation
- Inspect the ventilation of crawl spaces, attics and basements to reduce humidity
One of the best ways to control termites is to have a regular maintenance plan in place with a local Pest and Lawn Service so you can prevent termite damage from ever happening on your property, in your home or business.
Please let our team of professionals help you. Don’t spend your valuable time dealing with things that we can handle for you. If you’re in any of the surrounding areas, give Proactive Pest Control a call at 770-800-PEST or 770-800-7378.
Choose Proactive Pest Control for professional, comprehensive, guaranteed pest and lawn management. The pros at Proactive will work diligently to gain your trust, confidence, and your total satisfaction. CALL US TODAY at 770-800-PEST to schedule a free, no obligation inspection and evaluation for your home or business. Or, contact us for a FREE consultation. Let us show you why Proactive Pest Control is northeast Georgia’s first choice for pest, termite, and lawn services.